Sleep Disorder Treatment in Delhi India
There are lots of Issues that lots of people suffer during Sleep like Loud Snoring, Sleeping in daytime while working or feeling Sleepy everytime. Get alarmed if you are suffering from one of such problems along with the Obesity!
Sleep apnea – It is oftenly undiagnosed. Doctors are usually unable to detect this condition during routine clinical diagnosis. Also, there is no blood test to diagnose the condition.
Most people who have sleep apnea don't know they have it because it only occurs during sleep. A family member or bed partner might be the first to notice signs of sleep apnea.
Types of Sleep Apnea
- Obstructive sleep apnea - It is the most common variety of sleep apnea. In OSA, the airway becomes blocked or collapses during sleep. Thus, it causes shallow breathing or difficulty in breathing.
When patient tries to breathe, air that pasts through the blockage cause loud snoring. Obstructive sleep apnea is more common in people who are obese or overweight, but it may affect anyone with heart problem, nervous problem etc.
- Central sleep apnea - is a comparatively less common type of sleep apnea. This disorder occurs on when there is failure in getting correct signals from the area of your brain that controls your breathing. As a result, no efforts will be made to breathe for brief periods. Though, CSA can affect anyone, it is more common in people having certain medical issues or those who use certain medicines. Central sleep apnea can also occur with obstructive sleep apnea. It is also noted that Snoring typically does not occur with Central Sleep Apnea.
Harmful Effects of untreated sleep Apnea
- Increased risk of Hypertention, Cardiac Arrest, Heart Stroke, Obesity and Diabetes.
- Increased risk of Arrhythmias, Heart Failure.
- Increased chances of work related or driving accidents.
MANAGEMENT OF SLEEP APNEA
It requires long-term management. Changes in Lifestyle, Surgery, Mouthpieces and breathing devices can treat Sleap apnea successfully in many people.
STOP-BANG Sleep Apnea Questionnaie
Chung F et al Anesthesiology 2008 and BJA 2012
|Do you SNORE loudly?||Yes||No|
|Do you often feel TIRED, fatigue, or sleepiness during daytime?||Yes||No|
|Has anyone around you OBSERVED you stop breathing during sleep?||Yes||No|
|Are you suffering from problem of high blood PRESSURE?||Yes||No|
|Is your BMI more than 35kg/m2?||Yes||No|
|Is your AGE above 50 years old?||Yes||No|
|Is your NECK circumference > 16 inches (40cm)?||Yes||No|
|What’s your GENDER: Male?||Yes||No|
High risk of OSA: Yes 5 - 8
Intermediate risk of OSA: Yes 3 - 4
Low risk of OSA: Yes 0 – 2.
Any person having High Risk Score should immediately consult for Sleep Test. Facilities
are available at Asha Wellness Center
A sleep study is the most accurate way to diagnose sleep apnea. It is an evaluation of your breathing and body functions overnight.
There are two types of sleep studies:
- Home-based portable monitor.
Polysomnography (PSG) It is also known as sleep study which is performed at a specialized sleep center where your brain activity, eye movements, and vital signs such as heart rate and blood pressure are recorded. In addition, it measures the oxygen level in your blood, airflow in your nostrils, chest movements, and no of snoring. This test is painless and these measurements are recorded in memory card attached in machine through sensors attached to your face, chest, scalp, and fingers.
This test records the following parameters-:
- The number of times patient stops breathing lasting for 10 seconds (apnea)
- The number of times patient’s breathing is partially blocked (hypopnea)
The Apnea-Hypopnea Index (AHI) It is the number of apnea or hypopnea episodes that a patient suffers in one hour. The AHI result is used to diagnose sleep apnea.
1. A normal test result shows:
- AHI < 5 ( i.e. less than 5 episodes of apnea or hypopnea in an hour)
- Normal brain waves and muscle movements when patient sleeps.
2. If AHI > 5, you have sleep apnea:
- In Mild sleep apnea: AHI 5-15
- In Moderate sleep apnea: AHI 15-30
- In Severe sleep apnea: AHI > 30
The final diagnosis and recommendations for treatment also depend on:
- Medical history and symptoms
- Other findings observed in the sleep test
- Physical Examination
A home-based test is very simplified test which is done with a portable monitor that measures some of the same things as in PSG study. This is comparatively less expensive and allows the test to be done in the comfort of your home. It is recommended for the patients with severe symptoms but not having any other serious medical conditions that can interfere with the test results.
The results of the home-based sleep test are analysed and interpreted by a sleep expert. If patient is diagnosed with sleep apnea, the sleep medicine physician discusses the treatment options with you.
Several screening questionnaires for sleep apnea are there. One of the most popular is the STOP-Bang questionnaire mentioned as above.
As far as Sleep is concern, Life style is major trouble in today’s era. This can be best resolve with Ayurveda. So we ensure best treatment and results for your sleep disorder.
If you are fed up of having anti depressents, sleeping pills, your snoring, then Aasha Ayurveda is your destination. Contact: Mr Anil Kumar- 9999935488