Migraines are caused by vasodilation (widening of blood vessels) which releases the chemicals from nerve fibers that wrap around pillars in the brain.
According to Ayurveda, Vata and Pitta are the vitiated doshas in Migraine. Nasyam, Shirobasti, Shirodhara, are the treatments done for this condition. Ayurvedic aspect of Migraine
In Ayurveda, Migraine is referred as Suryaavarta. Surya means Sun and Avarta means Blockage. In migraine, headache is at worst condition in morning, reaches at its peak in afternoon and then subsides in the evening. But, this is not applicable to all cases. Symptoms can be different as per body constitution and habbits of every person.
A severe and throbbing headache starting at one point and spreading further, taking up an entire half of the head, often accompanied by vomiting, photophobia, pallor, sweating etc, sometimes prevailing through the day or even more.
As per ayurveda, flow of vata dosha is obstructed by pitta dosha thus causing throbbing pain.
Characteristic features of Migraine Headache:
- Throbbing pain,
- Headache over eye brows
- Headache in half part or full brain lasting for 2-3 hours
- Attack more than 15 days in a month
- Pulsating pain
- Pain increases with exposure to light
Nidan or Causes as per Ayurveda-
- Exposure to sunlight for a prolonged period
- Manas doshas like anger, grief, jealousy, stress etc
- Excessive intake of pungent, dry or salty food
- Intake of Polluted, oily, spicy food
- Supression of natural urges
Recurrence of migraine attacks may be due to-
- Alcohol or smoking
- Changes in sleep pattern,
- Hormonal changes during menstrual cycle in women
- Excessive stimulation because of stress, light, phone, loud noises, perfumes etc.
- Baked foods, chocolate, dairy products, onion, garlic etc
Ayurvedic procedures/ therapies for migraine
- Shirodhara-Pouring hot medicated oil on forehead.
- Shirolepa- To Pacify pitta, sheet dravyas like chandan paste is applied on head.
- Ksheerdhara-Pouring buttermilk over head
- Shirobasti- Placing medicated oil on head with some instrumental help
- Kaval grah- Holding Pitta Shamak kwath in mouth and rotating the same.
- Nasyam- Pouring 2-3 drops of medicated oil in nostrils to nourish the nerves in brain and to stimulate them.
Ayurvedic medicines or herbs for migraine-
- Ghrit kumari,
Authentic Ayurvedic preparations for Migraine-
- Shirah shooladi vajra ras
- Aparthadi kwath
- Mayur ghrita
- Giloy satva
- Kamdudha ras
- Laghusutshekhar ras
We at aasha ayurveda work on the basic principals of doshas and have treatyed hundreds of people suffering from Migraine and still going on. For any assistance, contact Dr Chanchal Sharma at 9654432828 or send query at firstname.lastname@example.org